You can read more about me and who I am on my About page.
My professional experience can be divided into two broad categories:
Content Marketing Specialist and Strategist
December 2004 to present
I am an experienced content marketer and strategist. My marketing experience includes writing longer form articles promoting brands’ solutions and copy for a variety of marketing collateral. I also have experience ghostwriting articles for industry influencers for publication in top tier publications such as MarketingLand, Inc and Business2Community.
I have been working in the legal services, advertising technology and hi-tech industries for more than a decade. My specialities include longer form articles that explain complex themes and solutions in plain language and in the context of particular industries.
Inbound Marketing Specialist, InboundJunction
September 2016 to March 2017
My role as Inbound Marketing Specialist was split between content writing and content strategy.
- As a content writer, I showcased our client’s innovations and unique value propositions in a variety of major digital publications.
- In addition I collaborated with our account managers and content team to develop effective content strategies for our clients.
- These strategies included identifying appropriate publications to pitch and how best to communicate our clients’ messages.
Content Marketing Specialist, Imonomy Interactive
January 2015 to August 2016
I wrote copy that converted site visitors into leads for our sales teams.
- Writing, proofreading and editing blog posts, white papers and short form text for the purpose of expanding awareness and informing potential customers.
- Contributing to the development and execution of our content strategy.
- Project managing company exhibitions and attendance at industry events.
- Using SEO optimization and PPC campaigns for lead generation.
Director and Marketing Lead, Web•Tech•Law Proprietary (Limited) (South Africa)
March 2012 to January 2016
I founded and ran a specialist legal risk advisory service specializing in digital media risks. One of my functions was content marketing for this niche service.
- Developing a marketing strategy for a niche legal services business and executing that strategy through a combination of inbound content marketing and social media marketing.
- Marketing this niche business primarily through original articles which explained complex technical and legal themes for business readers and consumers.
- Speaking frequently at conferences about legal issues, typically where relevant to marketing and advertising.
One of the key features of my work as a lawyer was being extensively involved in writing highly technical documents (in other words, contracts and similar legal documents) where there was little tolerance for errors.
This precise writing, coupled with a strong emphasis on expressing complex themes in plain language, gave me a powerful foundation for many forms of technical writing.
Independent Adjudicator, Wireless Applications Service Providers’ Association (South Africa)
December 2008 – Present
I adjudicate consumer complaints against mobile service providers (“WASPs”) who are WASPA members and are active in South Africa. I also act as an appeals panelist for adjudications which service providers appeal.
Director and Marketing Head, Web•Tech•Law Proprietary (Limited) (South Africa)
March 2012 to January 2016
I founded and ran a specialist legal risk advisory service specializing in digital media risks. Aside from my marketing function (described above), I provided niche legal consulting services to my clients. My work included:
- Analyzing and consulting to clients on Internet and digital risks; and
- Writing, negotiating and reviewing various types of contracts with emphasis on contracts written for Web use.
Sub-committee member, StanSA/SC 71 L Information Technology: Document Description and Processing Languages (South Africa)
July 2007 – November 2008
I represented The African Commons Project on this sub-committee of SA Standards (a division of the South African Bureau of Standards). The sub-committee reviews and makes recommendations on candidates for certification as standards (whether that be locally or internationally) and discusses related topics. The focus of the sub-committee is on document descriptions and processing languages.
The sub-committee recently considered and voted against certification of Microsoft’s Office Open XML document format at ISO (the international standards body) and subsequently was involved in submitting an appeal to certification of OOXML by ISO pursuant to a fast track process that led to the format’s certification.
Council member, The Open Knowledge Definition Project Advisory Council
February 2008 – September 2008
The Advisory Council was created in the Autumn of 2007 as the body formally responsible for maintaining and developing the Definitions and associated material found on this site. Its basic goal is to take forward the ‘Open Definition’ work for the general benefit of the open knowledge community. You can find out more information about the project at http://opendefinition.org/
General Counsel and Company Secretary, iCommons Limited
January 2008 – August 2008
As iCommons’ General Counsel and Company Secretary I advised the Executive Director and the Board on a range of legal, regulatory and policy issues. iCommons is an organisation with a broad vision to develop a united global commons front by collaborating with open education, access to knowledge, free software, open access publishing and free culture communities around the world.
My work with iCommons and the broader Creative Commons movement sparked my passion for open software and blending open content licenses with commercial legal frameworks as well as the underlying open culture that drives innovation through transparency and a sharing economy.
Part-time Lecturer, University of the Witwatersrand (South Africa)
February 2006 – November 2006
I lectured to first year students on Roman law and to intermediate students on the law of Civil Procedure. Besides preparing and presenting lectures I was also required to mark exam papers and assignments.
Principal Attorney, Jacobson Attorneys (South Africa)
August 2005 – October 2013
I left Werksmans Attorneys to start Jacobson Attorneys which began as a general law firm and evolved into a business/commercial law firm. I created a new media focus area in 2007 and became South Africa’s first specialist social media lawyer.
I am admitted attorney at the High Court of South Africa with extensive experience in commercial legal work (including commercial agreements, legal drafting, vetting commercial contracts and providing general legal assistance to small, medium and large businesses).
Attorney, Werksmans Attorneys (South Africa)
January 1999 – July 2005
I began my career at Werksmans Attorneys as a Candidate Attorney in the firm’s litigation department. I progressed to Professional Assistant (admitted attorney) in March 2001 when I was admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa and, ultimately, to Senior Associate in March 2003.
I focused on litigation, specifically long-term insurance litigation and unlawful competition.
- University of the Witwatersrand; Johannesburg, South Africa – Certificate in Management of Technology, 2003
- University of the Witwatersrand; Johannesburg, South Africa — Bachelor of Laws, 1999
- University of the Witwatersrand; Johannesburg, South Africa — Bachelor of Arts (majoring in Law and Philosophy), 1997
- I am very familiar with and closely follow a variety of online social services and content management platforms (particularly WordPress which powers this and other websites).
- I have a strong preference for writing in Markdown and MultiMarkdown syntax for more efficient Web-based writing (I talk about this a little in an article on my blog titled “Could MultiMarkdown replace Word for lawyers?“).
- I have also taught myself limited HTML syntax as well as common office productivity software packages including MS Office and LibreOffice.
- I am able to express complex technical themes in plain language while maintaining a clear narrative flow in my articles.
- I apply structured thinking and high levels of organisation in all of my projects.
I strive for a balance between effectiveness and simplicity in my supporting systems. At the same time, I approach challenges creatively, often laterally. I have fairly extensive experience speaking at a variety of conferences, usually about legal themes relevant to marketing and privacy.
I live in Modi’in, Israel with my family.